PHASE LINE CHARLIE
The topic of the day: Humanity. The human species. Homo Sapiens Sapiens. This life. This quintessence of düst, as we say in Finnmärck. What do we have going for us?
A sense of humor, for one. We all know how ridiculous we are. We know we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. Sometimes we forget, but then our girlfriends remind us. Then we remind our girlfriends that they, too, are ridiculous. Then our girlfriends become fürten, as we say in Finnmärck. It's the circle of life.
Also, we're good at killing things. That could come in handy some day. It's a big universe, most likely filled with creatures more horrible than we can imagine. Creatures like ourselves. Or, then again, maybe they're all mellow vegetarians who just want to hang out and party with us, in which case we'll feel a bit ridiculous, what with our huge, phallic nuclear rocketry and all. But then, we're used to that. Our girlfriends keep reminding us.
We're good at making more humans. I don't know if that's plus, but as long as we remember to kill a few of ourselves once in a while, I guess we're OK.
Or ARE we...?! (This is a rhetorical question. Don't bother answering it.)
I don't honestly know what'll kill us in the long run, the male propensity for destruction, or the female propensity for procreation. For a while there, during the cold war, it seemed like male stupidity would kill us all. Now, thanks to the housewives of the western bourgouise, it seems like female stupidity will do it for us yet. All of a sudden, the danger of overpopulation seems to outweigh the danger of nuclear holocaust. If is isn't one thing, it's the other.
What am I getting at? How the hell would I know, I'm just a barber. But in the words of the great poet:
"People suck, and that's my contention. I can prove it with a piece of paper and a pen, give me a fucking etch-and-sketch - I'll do it in five minutes - the proof, the fact, the factorum; I'll show my work, case closed... I'm tired of this back-slapping "isn't humanity neat"-bullshit. We're a virus with shoes. OK? That's all we are."
I'm packing my stuff tomorrow. I've got the car, I've got the driver, I've got the ferry tickets. I'm coming back to Luleå - gateway to the fnords.
What does it all mean? Who cares.
A sense of humor, for one. We all know how ridiculous we are. We know we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously. Sometimes we forget, but then our girlfriends remind us. Then we remind our girlfriends that they, too, are ridiculous. Then our girlfriends become fürten, as we say in Finnmärck. It's the circle of life.
Also, we're good at killing things. That could come in handy some day. It's a big universe, most likely filled with creatures more horrible than we can imagine. Creatures like ourselves. Or, then again, maybe they're all mellow vegetarians who just want to hang out and party with us, in which case we'll feel a bit ridiculous, what with our huge, phallic nuclear rocketry and all. But then, we're used to that. Our girlfriends keep reminding us.
We're good at making more humans. I don't know if that's plus, but as long as we remember to kill a few of ourselves once in a while, I guess we're OK.
Or ARE we...?! (This is a rhetorical question. Don't bother answering it.)
I don't honestly know what'll kill us in the long run, the male propensity for destruction, or the female propensity for procreation. For a while there, during the cold war, it seemed like male stupidity would kill us all. Now, thanks to the housewives of the western bourgouise, it seems like female stupidity will do it for us yet. All of a sudden, the danger of overpopulation seems to outweigh the danger of nuclear holocaust. If is isn't one thing, it's the other.
What am I getting at? How the hell would I know, I'm just a barber. But in the words of the great poet:
"People suck, and that's my contention. I can prove it with a piece of paper and a pen, give me a fucking etch-and-sketch - I'll do it in five minutes - the proof, the fact, the factorum; I'll show my work, case closed... I'm tired of this back-slapping "isn't humanity neat"-bullshit. We're a virus with shoes. OK? That's all we are."
I'm packing my stuff tomorrow. I've got the car, I've got the driver, I've got the ferry tickets. I'm coming back to Luleå - gateway to the fnords.
What does it all mean? Who cares.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home